Minggu, 11 Oktober 2009

The Olympus Trip 35


This holiday, I found a vintage Olympus camera in a box in my mother’s closet. Unlike vintage plastic ones, this one looks more handsome because the outer body is made of metal and it is encased with a black checked jacket. By checking the production code inside the film compartment, I found out that the camera was manufactured in October 1977. Thus, this camera has been around for 32 years. What’s more remarkable is that the camera is still working in good condition which I think is because of its manual feature that makes it quite tough for all these years.

I have never used a manual camera before. To make things worse, my father doesn’t feel like teaching me. He said that I should just use the usual digital camera. Manuals are inconvenient and more expensive in its operation due to its film purchasing and photo developing process. So I went online to find the instructions and learn it myself. Afterwards, I went to buy the film and it cost 28 thousand rupiah. I was in shock because I thought films are like 6 thousand rupiah now due to the lower demand of films. When I went to my father for more money, he gave me the-I-told-you so eyes.

Then it came to the time I test the camera. Najwa, Novi and I went to the food promenade in Tebet and start shooting. At first we just took normal smiling photos at the café we were eating in. But after seeing the minor traffic jam, I had an idea where Najwa and Novi should strike a pose between the cars as if they were the ones who made the traffic happen. To make long story short, it failed because the traffic was actually quite free when they crossed the road. Even though I haven’t developed the photos, I could tell that there will be no cars around the girls in the photo. Maybe I'll upload the photo later, when I find the time to scan 'em up.

1 komentar: